MG/YA – Almost There

Rochon, Farrah. Almost There. Disney Hyperion, 2022. 978-1-368-07756-9. $18.99. 464 p. Grades 7-12.

“What if Tiana made a deal that changed everything?” This story begins where the movie comes to an end, and against Tiana’s better judgment, she decides to make a deal with Dr. Facilier, also known as The Shadow Man. He not only promises that Tiana will have her restaurant but that she’ll have it with her father who died when she was young. In return, she must give up a future with Prince Naveen and add a special potion into her gumbo each night at the restaurant. When she agrees to the terms, she wakes up to a seemingly perfect life. Although she misses Naveen, she now has her father and the restaurant of their dreams. As time goes on, strange things start to happen in New Orleans, and Tiana may need the help of closest friends to set things right.

THOUGHTS: I’ve been a big fan of the Twisted Tales since I started reading them a few years ago but as a lifelong Disney fan, I was skeptical of the idea; however, each one has exceeded my expectations, including Almost There, a twist on The Princess and the Frog. Although this series has two main authors, Disney chose an African American author from Louisiana to bring Tiana’s story from the screen to the page. Set in 1920s New Orleans, the book is able to touch on subjects, such as racism, that the movie did not explore. Readers will enjoy this tale even if they haven’t seen the movie and will be inspired to explore the others as well. The Twisted Tales are a must have series for any middle and high school library.

Fantasy          Emily Hoffman, Conestoga Valley SD