YA – The Wicked Bargain

Novoa, Gabe Cole. The Wicked Bargain. Random House, 2023. 978-0-593-37801-4.  361pg. $18.99. Grades 9-12.

The Wicked Bargain follows main character Mar who is a pirate on their father’s ship where they are celebrating their 18th birthday. However, el Diablo comes to collect a debt from Mar’s father… that is their father’s soul and the lives of all the crew leaving Mar as the only survivor. Mar has no choice but to avenge their fathers death, and they team up with another pirate named Bas in order to do that. However, finding el Diablo and getting their father’s soul won’t be so easy. Mar has magic that they have been suppressing and hiding almost their entire life, as well as their identity that they were born female but identify as nonbinary. Will Mar be able to manage their magic to save their father? And what do they do about their growing feelings for Bas?

THOUGHTS: This book surprised me in a great way! The plot seemed slightly uninteresting; however, once I got into the story, the writing was excellent and the plot moved along just fast enough to keep me interested. I loved all of the characters, but the dynamic between Mar and Bas was definitely my favorite. Great book for fans of young adult fantasy!

Fantasy