World War I….a new series to mark the 100th Anniversary

World War I: Remembering the Great War (series). New York: Crabtree Publishing, 2014. 48 p. $23.54 (hardcover) $31.32 (single-user e-book) $46.98 (unlimited access e-book)

Clarke, Gordon. Canada in World War I: Outstanding Victories Create a Nation. 978-07787-03273

Gould, Jane H. The United States in World War I: America’s Entry Ensures Victory. 978-07787-03891

Gould, Jane H. World War I: 1914-1916: A Terrible New Warfare Begins. 978-07787-03259

Hyde, Natalie. World War I: The Causes for War. 089-07787-03877

Swayze, Alan. The End of World War I: The Treaty of Versailles and Its Tragic Legacy. 978-07787-03884

Walker, Robert. World War I: 1917-1918. 978-07787-03266
A well-timed series for the 100th anniversary of World War I (1914-1918), this series is solidly written, engaging, and inviting.  The series is divided into six books, detailing causes, two time periods of the war (1914-1916 and 1917-1918), contributions of Canadian troops and U.S. troops, and the end of the war.  The war’s complicated origins are well-explained (in World War I: The Causes for War), as are the key battles, awfulness of trench warfare and mustard gas, important artillery changes that made this war incredibly deadly, popular flying aces or barons, and the not-so-calming treaty that ended it all.  All-color sidebars present maps, facts, timelines, and captivating questions to readers.  In Canada in World War I, Canada’s involvement (when Britain entered the war) is detailed; their “shock troops” at various battles such as Ypres, the Somme, Arras, and Passchendaele, were instrumental.  The United States in World War I tells how, although President Wilson attempted to maintain U.S. neutrality, the sinking of the RMS Lusitania plus a pivotal telegram led to the U.S. entering the war in 1917.  Author Gould explains how the U.S. involvement (refreshing weary Allied troops) was a key part of the victory, and the home front response, including propaganda, proved vital.   Maps and timelines of events discussed act as essential aids to understanding troop movements and changing borders.  World War I: 1914-1916 covers the ground war and the war at sea with its submarines and naval blockades.  The title also includes brief presentation of war artists. Both World War I : 1914-1916 and World War I: 1917-1918 are nearly overwhelmed by the number and variety of battles (air, land, and sea). The End of the War gives a readable explanation of Wilson’s Fourteen Points and the Treaty of Versailles, explaining how this outcome helped to feed World War II just a generation later.  This last title also covers the social, economic, political and technological changes brought on by the war.  Each title concludes with Further Reading and Websites; Glossary; and Index.
940.4; World War I      Melissa Scott, Shenango High School